About Timisoara…

Timisoara appears in documents since 1173. The city was designed by two times. In 1716 the Austrians liberated the city, that was under Turkish occupation for 164 years. They demolished the whole town and brought engineers who designed and built a new city, now Old Town. In the early twentieth century, engineers started working again and made the modern Timisoara project, which was observed in the first decades of socialism.

The fortress withstood 9 attacks. It was never conquered in battle, because it was placed in the marsh, and the two courses Bega and Timis, which currently has its course 10 km away, formed a real defense system. Only those who knew the place, could approach the city. The marshy land gave trouble the city mayor.

Most of the eighteenth and nineteenth century buildings were built on wooden pylons, which lasted until the phreatic layer increased. The problems started with the development of the city. The phreatic level decreased and the pillars began to rot.

The draining of wetlands was initiated by the Austrians in the eighteenth century, when also Bega channel was dug.

In the eighteenth century industrialization began in the most beautiful and cleanest city in Europe, that was Timisoara.


1718 - the oldest brewery in Romania was certified

1718 - the opening of the first elementary schools in the Citadel and the first one in Romania

1728 - the work on Bega channel began, the first fairway in Romania

1745 - the first community hospital in Romania (24 years before Vienna and 34 years before Budapest)

1760 - the first city of monarchy that had the streets illuminated with lamps

1819 - the first time in Central Europe that was used the smallpox vaccine

1823 - Janos Bolyai announced the discovery of the world’s first non-Euclidean geometry

1847 - the first Johann Strauss (the son) concert outside Vienna took place in the courtyard of the Timisoara brewery

1855 - the first city of the Habsburg monarchy with gas-lit streets

1884 - the first town on the European continent with electrically illuminated streets, with 731 lamps

1886 - the first rescue station in Hungary and Romania

1895 - the first paved road in Romania

1899 - the first electric tram in Romania

1953 - the only European city with three state theaters in Romanian, Hungarian and German language

Timisoara was also called the city of flowers, the city parks and the garden city. Timisoara had a cult for flowers’ growth and it also had many famous gardens well known in the Balkans and throughout Europe.

Old Pictures

New Pictures